Start the year right as you introduce the library & review book care skills with this editable, DIGITAL library orientation unit for 1st grade library classes.
This lesson is designed for distance learning, online teaching, or blended / hybrid instruction (part online, part face-to-face). The teacher-librarian creates read-aloud videos to embed in the slides or provides an ebook with audio read-aloud features. After listening to each book or watching the book video, students complete the response activity on the next slide.
This library orientation unit is completely editable in Google Slides, and includes:
Digital Read-aloud Lesson for each book to share with students
- Placeholders for adding video directions and/or read-aloud videos (See important note below for why the actual read-aloud is not included.)
- Video cover thumbnails for read-aloud videos in .jpg and .png file formats
Books featured in this unit are:
- “Do Not Bring Your Dragon to the Library” by Julie Gassman (Bookshop or Amazon or Capstone hardcover or ebook)
- “Bats at the Library” by Brian Lies (Bookshop or Amazon)
- “A Library Book for Bear” by Bonny Becker (Bookshop or Amazon)
- “Our Library” by Eve Bunting (Bookshop or Amazon)
- If you purchase any books through the affiliate links above, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Suggested Response Activity (or Activities) for each book for students to complete
- Some of the book activities have interactive movable parts for students to identify good library manners or behavior, to identify healthy or damaged books, or to identify the title, author, and illustrator of a book.
Example Activity Choice Board to extend the learning through research or further reading
- 3 optional activity examples
- Your choice of 4 different choice board layouts
Contact Information slide for parents or students to know how to reach you online
Comprehensive 1st Grade Lesson Plan in Google Docs and Microsoft Word .docx file formats, including:
- Big ideas and essential questions from the PA Library Model Curriculum
- Standards including:
- National Common Core Standards (ELA),
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners (2018), and
- Pennsylvania Core Standards (ELA).
- Suggested assessment methods
- Materials needed
- Detailed procedure (great for substitutes!)
- Reflection and notes space
- Bibliography of resources used
Lesson plan can be adapted for 2nd grade by replacing the appropriate standards.
Directions & Teacher Notes for posting your lesson in Google Classroom or other elearning platforms (included in preview)
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, read-aloud videos of the picture books are NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading each book, or do a live stream of the read-alouds for students to access the book. If your library owns the ebooks with audio read-aloud support, you could also share how to read or access them through your ebook management platform.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact me through this link, or email me directly at MrsJ [at] mrsjinthelibrary.com with questions or special requests.