Start the year right and introduce how the library works with this editable, DIGITAL library orientation lesson for kindergarten or 1st grade classes.
This lesson is designed for distance learning, online teaching, or blended (part online, part face-to-face instruction). The teacher-librarian creates a read-aloud video to embed in the slides or provides an ebook with audio read-aloud features. After listening to the book or watching the book video, students complete 1 of the response activities on the next slides.
This 27-page lesson is completely editable in Google Slides and includes:
Digital Read-aloud for “But Excuse Me That is My Book” by Lauren Child to share with students
- Placeholders for adding video directions and/or read-aloud videos (See important note below for why the actual read-aloud is not included.)
- Video cover thumbnails for read-aloud videos in .jpg and .png file formats
3 Suggested Response Activities for students to complete with some parent help or teacher support
- 2 of the activities use paid databases, but 1 activity uses only free resources.
Example Activity Choice Board to extend the learning through research or further reading
- 3 optional activity examples
- Your choice of 4 different choice board layouts
Contact Information slide for parents or students to know how to reach you online
Comprehensive Kindergarten Lesson Plan in Google Docs and Microsoft Word .docx file formats, including:
- Big ideas and essential questions from the PA Library Model Curriculum
- Standards including:
- National Common Core Standards (ELA),
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners (2018), and
- Pennsylvania Core Standards (ELA).
- Suggested assessment methods
- Materials needed
- Detailed procedure (great for substitutes!)
- Reflection and notes space
- Bibliography of resources used
Lesson plan can be adapted for 1st grade, or even pre-kindergarten by replacing the appropriate standards.
Directions & Teacher Notes for posting your lesson in Google Classroom or other elearning platforms (included in preview)
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, a read-aloud video of “But Excuse Me That is My Book” is NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the ebook with audio read-aloud support, you could also share how to read or access it through your ebook management platform.
Still not sure? Try before you buy!
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact me through this link.