This digital read-aloud unit is designed to be used as a series of library class lessons. It is provided for FREE to Pennsylvania teacher-librarians and library media specialists.
This lesson is designed for distance learning, online teaching, or blended / hybrid instruction (part online, part face-to-face). The teacher-librarian creates a read-aloud video to embed in the slides or provides an ebook with audio read-aloud features. After listening to the book or watching the book video, students rate it from 1 to 5 stars and complete the response activity.
The “Pay What You Will” and “Suggested Retail Value” options support the time and energy I put into updating and publishing a new version of this product every year. If you are able to contribute, thank you!! No matter which option you choose, however, the files and content are exactly the same. Teachers and students from other states are welcome to use this product as well, though they are not eligible to vote in the contest.
This read-aloud unit has 28 slides and pages, and is completely editable including:
Digital Read-aloud Lesson with Response Activities format to share with students in editable Google Slides format
- Each slide has 5 stars for students to fill in based on their opinion of the book, which can help them decide which book to vote for.
- Thirteen (13) response activities for students to complete on the Google Slides
- One (1) of the activities is differentiated for two (2) groups of students.
- Some activities require paper and basic art supplies (pencils, colored pencils, crayons, markers, etc.) to complete.
- Some activities are research explorations using common databases, such as PebbleGo, PebbleGo Next, BrainPOP, World Book Kids, or Brittanica Kids.
- Links to your school’s ebook platform (MackinVIA, Epic!, etc) can also be added for the research activities.
- Blank template slide with extra links to database websites (or login screen), including the POWER Kids databases for Pennsylvania libraries.
Text and Video Directions & Teacher Notes for posting your lesson in Google Classroom or other elearning platforms (included in preview)
Comprehensive, Editable Lesson Plan for Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd Grades in Google Docs and Microsoft Word .docx file formats, including:
- Big ideas and essential questions from the PA Library Model Curriculum
- Standards including:
- National Common Core Standards (ELA),
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners (2018), and
- Pennsylvania Core Standards (ELA).
- Suggested assessment methods
- Materials needed
- Detailed procedure (great for substitutes!)
- Reflection and notes space
- Bibliography of resources used
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, NO read-aloud videos are included with this product. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the interactive ebook that has audio read-aloud, you could also share how to read or access it through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
List of books included in the 2021-2022 digital unit: (affiliate links)
If you purchase through these affiliate links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Buy the whole set and support your local bookseller here.
- “Bear Came Along” by Richard T. Morris & LeUyen Pham (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Sweety” by Andrea Zuill (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Dandy” by Ame Dyckman & Charles Santoso (Amazon)
- “The Boy Who Invented the Popsicle: The Cool Science Behind Frank Epperson’s Famous Frozen Treat” by Anne Renaud and Milan Pavolović (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Frederico and the Wolf” by Rebecca J. Gomez & Elisa Chavarri (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Freedom Soup” by Tami Charles & Jacqueline Alcántara (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story” by Kevin Noble Maillard & Juana Martinez-Neal (Amazon or BookShop)
- “The Proudest Blue” by by Ibtihaj Muhammad with S. K. Ali & Hatem Aly (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Borrowing Bunnies: The Surprisingly True tale of Fostering Rabbits” by Cynthia Lord, John Bald, & Hazel Mitchell (Amazon or BookShop)
- “This Way, Charlie” by Caron Levis & Charles Santosa (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Carter Reads the Newspaper: The Story of Carter G. Woodson, Founder of Black History Month” by Deborah Hopkinson & Don Tate (Amazon or BookShop)
- “I’m the Big One Now! Poems about Growing Up” by Marilyn Singer & Jana Christy (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Just Ask! Be Different, Be Brave, Be You” by Sonia Sotomayor and illustrated by Rafael López (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Fox & Rabbit” by Beth Ferry & Gergely Dudás – star rating only, no response activity (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Lift” by Minh Lê & Dan Santat – star rating only, no response activity (Amazon or BookShop)
Questions before downloading?
If you have any questions or comments about this product, you can contact me through this link.