This digital read-aloud unit is designed to be used as a series of library class lessons. It is provided for FREE as a gift to Pennsylvania teacher-librarians and library media specialists.
This lesson is designed for distance learning, online teaching, or blended / hybrid instruction (part online, part face-to-face). The teacher-librarian creates a read-aloud video to embed in the slides or provides an ebook with audio read-aloud features. After listening to the book or watching the book video, students rate it from 1 to 5 stars and complete the response activity.
The “Pay What You Will” and “Suggested Retail Value” options help to pay for the cost of updating and publishing a new version of this product every year! If you are able to contribute, thank you!! No matter which option you choose, however, the files and content are exactly the same. Teachers and students from other states are welcome to use this product as well, though they are not eligible to vote in the contest.
This 21-page lesson is completely editable in Google Slides and includes:
Digital Read-aloud Lesson with Response Activities to share with students
- Each slide has 5 stars for students to fill in based on their opinion of the book, which may help them decide which book to vote for.
- Twelve (12) response activities for students to complete on the Google Slides
- Two (2) of the activities are differentiated for two (2) groups of students.
- Some activities require paper and basic art supplies (pencils, colored pencils, crayons, markers, etc.) to complete.
- Some activities are research explorations using common databases, such as PebbleGo, PebbleGo Next, BrainPOP, World Book Kids, or Brittanica Kids.
- Links to your school’s ebook platform (MackinVIA, Epic!, etc) can also be added for the research activities.
- Blank template slide with extra links to database websites (or login screen), including the POWER Kids databases for Pennsylvania libraries.
Link to video walk-through and how-to directions – https://youtu.be/P7Q9fd1lNKY
Text Directions & Teacher Notes for posting your lesson in Google Classroom or other elearning platforms (included in preview)
Comprehensive Lesson Plan for Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd Grades in Google Docs and Microsoft Word .docx file formats, including:
- Big ideas and essential questions from the PA Library Model Curriculum
- Standards including:
- National Common Core Standards (ELA),
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners (2018), and
- Pennsylvania Core Standards (ELA).
- Suggested assessment methods
- Materials needed
- Detailed procedure (great for substitutes!)
- Reflection and notes space
- Bibliography of resources used
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, NO read-aloud videos are included with this product. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the interactive ebook that has audio read-aloud, you could also share how to read or access it through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
List of books included in the 2020-2021 digital unit: (affiliate links)
If you purchase through these affiliate links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- “The Very Impatient Caterpillar” by Ross Burach (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Potato Pants!” by Laurie Keller (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Sign Off” by Stephen Savage (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Can I Be Your Dog?” by Troy Cummings (Amazon or BookShop)
- “A Computer Called Katherine: How Katherine Johnson Helped Put America on the Moon” by Suzanne Slade & Veronica Miller Jamison (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Leila in Saffron” by Rukhsanna Guidroz & Dinara Mirtalipova (Amazon or BookShop)
- “My Papi Has a Motorcycle” by Isabel Quintero & Zeke Peña (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Billie Jean! How Tennis Star Billie Jean King Changed Women’s Sports” by Mara Rockliff & Elizabeth Baddeley (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Fox + Chick: The Party and Other Stories” by Sergio Ruzzier (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Sun! One in a Billion” by Stacy McAnulty & Stevie Lewis (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Daring Dozen: The Twelve Who Walked on the Moon” by Suzanne Slade & Alan Marks (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Frankie Sparks and the Class Pet” by Megan Frazer Blakemore & Nadja Sarell (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!” by Cece Bell – star rating only, no response activity (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Hidden City: Poems of Urban Wildlife” by Sarah Grace Tuttle & Amy Schimler-Safford – star rating only, no response activity (Amazon or BookShop)
- “Warren and Dragon: 100 Friends” by Ariel Bernstein & Mike Malbrough – star rating only, no response activity (Amazon or BookShop)
Questions before downloading?
If the free video walkthrough above does not answer your question, you can contact me through this link.