This read-aloud unit is designed to be used as a series of library class lessons or as a literacy center in a classroom. It is provided for FREE as a gift to Pennsylvania school librarians and teachers. Teachers and students from other states are welcome to use this product as well, though they are not eligible to vote in the contest.
The “Pay What You Will” and “Suggested Retail Value” options help to pay for the cost of updating and publishing a new version of this product every year! If you are able to contribute, thank you!! No matter which option you choose, however, the files and content are exactly the same.
- 16-page printable response activities, which are folded into a booklet when printed double-sided on 4 sheets of letter paper:
- Editable in Microsoft PowerPoint .pptx file
- Easy-to-print PDF file format included
- Each half-page has 5 stars for students to fill in based on their opinion of the book and a reader’s response drawing (or simple writing) activity for one of the nominated books in the K-3 category.
- Each page is for one 30-40-minute block of time in which you can read the book, students will check out new books from the library, then complete the response activity.
- The 4 chapter book sin this category are combined onto 2 booklet pages to save space, and to allow extra time during class to read the longer text.
- EDITABLE lesson plan for kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grades in Microsoft Word .docx file format
List of books included in the 2019-2020 response booklets: (affiliate links)
- “We Don’t Eat Our Classmates” by Ryan T. Higgins
- “Someone New” by Anne Sibley O’Brien
- “The Water Princess” by Susan Verde
- “Keith Haring: The Boy Who Just Kept Drawing” by Kay A. Haring
- “If Picasso Painted a Snowman” by Amy and Greg Newbold
- “Counting Birds: The Idea that Helped Save Our Feathered Friends” by Heidi E. Y. Stemple
- “Joan Procter: Dragon Doctor” by Patricia Valdez
- “A Place to Start a Family: Poems about Creatures that Build” by David L. Harrison
- “Iver and Ellsworth” by Casey W. Robinson
- “The Boo-Boos that Changed the World: A True Story about an Accidental Invention (Really!)” by Barry Wittenstein
- “Flying Deep: Climb Inside Deep-Sea Submersible ALVIN” by Michelle Cusolito
- “King & Kayla and the Case of the Lost Tooth” by Dori Hillstead Butler (King & Kayla series; chapter book, no activity)
- “Baby Monkey, Private Eye” by Brian Selznick and David Serlin (longer illustrated book, no activity)
- “My Life in Pictures” by Deborah Zemke (Bea Garcia series; chapter book, no activity)
- “The Haunted House Next Door” by Andres Meidoso (Desmond Cole Ghost Patrol series; chapter book, no activity)
Questions before downloading?
You can contact me through this link, or email me directly at MrsJ [at] mrsjinthelibrary.com with questions or special requests.
Pin It for Later