This read-aloud unit is designed to be used as a series of library class lessons or as a literacy center in a classroom. It is provided for FREE as a gift to Pennsylvania school librarians and teachers. Teachers and students from other states are welcome to use this product as well, though they are not eligible to vote in the contest.
- 8-page printable response activities, which are folded into a booklet when printed double-sided on 2 sheets of letter paper:
- Editable in Microsoft Word .docx file and Microsoft Publisher .pub file formats
- Easy-to-print PDF file format included
- Each half-page has 5 stars for students to fill in based on their opinion of the book and a reader’s response drawing (or simple writing) activity for one of the nominated books in the K-3 category.
- Each page is for one 30-40-minute block of time in which you can read the book, students will check out new books from the library, then complete the response activity.
- EDITABLE lesson plan for kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grades in Microsoft Word .docx file format
List of books included in the 2018-19 response booklets: (affiliate links)
- “Thunder Underground” by Jane Yolen
- “The Bad Seed” by Jory John
- “Mouse and Hippo” by Mike Twohy
- “Moo Moo in a Tutu” by Tim Miller (Moo Moo and Mr. Quackers)
- “Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea” by Ben Clanton
- “Can an Aardvark Bark?” by Melissa Stewart
- “If Sharks Disappeared” by Lily Williams
- “The Blobfish Book” by Jessica Olien
- “Rhino in the House: The Story of Saving Samia” by Daniel Kirk
- “Charlotte the Scientist is Squished” by Camille Andros
- “The Infamous Ratsos” by Kara LaReau
- “Barkus” by Patricia MacLachlan
- “Gone Camping: A Novel in Verse” by Tamera Will Wissinger
- “Princess Cora and the Crocodile” by Laura Amy Schlitz
- “A New School Year: Stories in Six Voices” by Sally Derby