This digital novel study product for online or blended learning includes vocabulary, 2 inquiry-based short research projects, and a media literacy project where students create an advertisement to sell a new candy they create.
Please download the preview below for a more detailed overview and to view the Teacher’s Manual!
This 100+ page novel study of “The Candymakers” by Wendy Mass (#1 in the series) includes:
All of the materials below in EDITABLE Google Docs, Slides, or Forms format for blended or online learning:
- Teacher manual
- Digital student activities
- Materials & supplies list
- 3 Reflective journals and reading response activities
- 2 investigations and mini research units (can be used for science inquiry classes as well)
- Create-a-candy project and designing an advertisement project
- Differentiated rubric assessments for research units to include written or multimedia product
- Rubrics to grade journals and investigations
- Extension ideas for more technology integration
- Lesson plans aligned to:
- National Common Core Standards for English Language Arts,
- Pennsylvania Core Standards (ELA), and
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners (2018) – editable in Microsoft Word .docx file format only
- Bibliography of resources
- QR code cards for 1 of the extension activities
The following materials are included in easy-to-print PDF file formats, and are NOT editable unless otherwise noted:
- Bulletin board materials for selected vocabulary, plus a blank template to add your own words
- Bulletin board materials for spelling “The Candymakers” on 8.5″ x 11″ sheets of paper
- QR code cards for 1 of the extension activities – also editable in Microsoft PowerPoint .pptx file format
Though the lesson plans are written for 5th grade students during 40-minute fixed library classes, they can be modified for both language arts and science instruction. Many of the components would also work well for an inquiry-based science program.
Still not sure? Try before you buy!
For teacher-librarians: You may use this product with all of your classes and students.