This digital novel study product for online or blended learning includes vocabulary, 2 inquiry-based short research projects, and a media literacy project where students create an advertisement to sell a new candy they create.
Please download the preview below for a more detailed overview and to view the Teacher’s Manual!
This 100+ page novel study of “The Candymakers” by Wendy Mass (#1 in the series) includes:
All of the materials below in EDITABLE Google Docs, Slides, or Forms format for blended or online learning:
- Teacher manual
- Digital student activities
- Materials & supplies list
- 3 Reflective journals and reading response activities
- 2 investigations and mini research units (can be used for science inquiry classes as well)
- Create-a-candy project and designing an advertisement project
- Differentiated rubric assessments for research units to include written or multimedia product
- Rubrics to grade journals and investigations
- Extension ideas for more technology integration
- Lesson plans aligned to:
- National Common Core Standards for English Language Arts,
- Pennsylvania Core Standards (ELA), and
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners (2018) – editable in Microsoft Word .docx file format only
- Bibliography of resources
- QR code cards for 1 of the extension activities
The following materials are included in easy-to-print PDF file formats, and are NOT editable unless otherwise noted:
- Bulletin board materials for selected vocabulary, plus a blank template to add your own words
- Bulletin board materials for spelling “The Candymakers” on 8.5″ x 11″ sheets of paper
- QR code cards for 1 of the extension activities – also editable in Microsoft PowerPoint .pptx file format
Though the lesson plans are written for 5th grade students during 40-minute fixed library classes, they can be modified for both language arts and science instruction. Many of the components would also work well for an inquiry-based science program.
Still not sure? Try before you buy!
For teacher-librarians: You may use this product with all of your classes and students.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact me through this link.