This printable product is designed for each student to have a novel study packet to work on and turn into their classroom teacher or teacher-librarian. The novel study includes vocabulary, 2 inquiry-based short research projects, and a media literacy project where students create an advertisement to sell a new candy they create.
This 130+ page novel study of “The Candymakers” by Wendy Mass (#1 in the series) includes:
- Teacher manual and student packet
- Materials list
- 3 Reflective journals and reading response activities
- 2 investigations and mini research units (can be used for science inquiry classes as well)
- Create-a-candy project and designing an advertisement project
- Differentiated assessments for research units
- Rubrics to grade everything
- Extension ideas for more technology integration
- Lesson plans aligned to:
- National Common Core Standards for ELA,
- Pennsylvania Core Standards (ELA), and
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners (2018)
- Bibliography of resources
- Bulletin board materials for vocabulary and 1 of the response activities
- QR code cards for 1 of the extension activities
All files are editable in Microsoft Word or PowerPoint, and are also available as PDF files.
Though the lesson plans are written for 5th grade students during 40-minute fixed library classes, they can be modified for both language arts and science instruction. Many of the components would also work well for an inquiry-based science program.
Still not sure? Try before you buy!
For teacher-librarians: You may use this product with all of your classes and students.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact me through this link, or email me directly at [email protected] with questions or special requests.