TL Blogging Challenge #10 – Displays – Where do you get your inspiration? Do you have a constant or rotating display? Do your students help?
I’m really NOT good at displays. I have a few 8.5″ x 11″ document frames with some basic signage that I rotate once or twice a year, and thanks to Pinterest, I’m always finding new ideas. Of course, my implementation rate of my Teaching & Library Ideas Pinterest board is about 10% or less. Like everyone, I wish there was more time devoted to running and managing the library. New books that we get each month DO go on display easels around the library, and along with our fabulous volunteers pulling seasonal books, that generally keeps the easels full for student browsing.
I’ve toyed with the idea of having student “library helpers” be in charge of displays, but the problem comes to time. Not my time, my students’ time. When students have the time available like lunch and recess time, I’m teaching other classes, so I can’t train or supervise them. Extra duties before and after school, plus the fact that I try to use that time to collaborate with teachers, adds up to no student helpers right now.
Maybe I could make it a library center for the older students?? I’m not sure how I feel about using potential instruction time to help manage the library, though it may teach students a sense of ownership of the library space.
My Try-or-Improve-This-Next-Year List is growing:
- Circulate maker kits for students to take home
- Reasonable limits on how long a makerspace project can take to allow more students to have access to the littleBits™ kits
- Revamp newsletters and parent communication to make them more visual (might try out Smore)
- Library helpers during class time…or maybe incorporate with TV crew?
- Curtain backdrops and maybe an online teleprompter for TV studio
- Finish the nonfiction section signage for popular whole number Dewey sections
The blogging challenge is from Cybrarian Jen at Where Books and Technology Meet. I’m going to try it out, but instead of daily posts, I’m going to try for 1-2 posts a week.