Review library behavior expectations, book care, and title, author, & illustrator with these editable, easy-to-prep orientation lessons for 1st grade library classes!
After reading one of the four (4) picture books aloud to the class, students check out new books from the library, and then complete the response activity in their response booklet. For remote learning or distance learning, the printable booklet can be sent home for up to 4 weeks of library lessons in districts who do not have access to 1:1 devices.
This 15-page read-aloud unit is completely editable and includes:
Printable Booklet of 4 Reading Response Activities
- Editable in Microsoft PowerPoint .pptx file format
- Booklet is printed double-sided on 2 sheets of 8.5″ x 11″ paper, then folded and stapled to make an 8.5″ x 5.5.” booklet.
- Each half-page of the printable booklet includes a response activity (drawing or short writing) for one of the books.
- The back page of the booklet shows more library- and reading-themed book suggestions to read or check out from the library.
The books featured in this unit are:
- “Do Not Bring Your Dragon to the Library” by Julie Gassman (Bookshop or Amazon or Capstone hardcover or ebook)
- “Bats at the Library” by Brian Lies (Bookshop or Amazon)
- “A Library Book for Bear” by Bonny Becker (Bookshop or Amazon)
- “Our Library” by Eve Bunting (Bookshop or Amazon)
- If you purchase any books through the affiliate links above, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Comprehensive 1st Grade Lesson Plan, editable in Microsoft Word .docx file format, including:
- Big ideas and essential questions from the Pennsylvania Library Model Curriculum
- Standards including:
- National Common Core Standards (ELA),
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners (2018), and
- Pennsylvania Core Standards (ELA).
- Suggested assessment methods
- Materials needed
- Detailed procedure (great for substitutes!)
- Reflection and notes space
- Bibliography of resources used
- Lesson plan can be adapted for other grades by replacing the appropriate standards.
Directions & Teacher Notes for assembling the printable booklets.
Note: This product is designed to be printed and handed out to students. If you prefer an all-digital version of this unit, you might like the 1st Grade Library Orientation Digital Read-alouds BUNDLE instead.
Still not sure? Try before you buy!
For teacher-librarians: You may use this product with all of your classes and students.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact me through this link.