Teach primary elementary students about character development, books in a series, and reading in different formats with the “Babymouse” graphic novels in this editable, DIGITAL lesson for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade classes.
By reading a graphic novel (or comic) aloud to students, you can demonstrate how to read across and down the comic panels and in what order to read the speech bubbles. The “Babymouse” and related “Squish” series of books are also great for discussing how a character develops and changes over the course of one or more books in a series.
This lesson is designed for distance learning, online teaching, or blended / hybrid instruction (part online, part face-to-face). The teacher-librarian creates a read-aloud video to embed in the slides or provides an ebook with audio read-aloud features. After listening to the book or watching the book video, students complete the response activity on the next slide.
This read-aloud lesson has 20 slides and 9 pages, and it’s completely editable in Google Slides, including:
Digital Read-aloud Lesson for “Babymouse: Queen of the World” or any of the “Babymouse” or “Squish” series by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm to share with students
- Includes placeholders for adding video directions and/or read-aloud videos (See important note below for why the actual read-aloud is not included.)
- Video cover thumbnails for read-aloud videos in .jpg and .png file formats
- Any component that you don’t want to use is easy to remove.
Two (2) Response Activity Choices for students to create their own 3-panel comic.
- One activity has moveable pieces to create a comic directly on the Google Slide with Babymouse and/or Squeak, her brother.
- One activity has directions for creating a 4-panel comic with paper and art supplies.
Example Activity Choice Board to extend the learning through research or further reading
- 2 optional activity examples
- Your choice of 4 different choice board layouts
Contact Information slide for parents or students to know how to reach you online
Comprehensive 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Grade Lesson Plan in Google Docs and Microsoft Word .docx file formats, including:
- Big ideas and essential questions from the PA Library Model Curriculum
- Standards including:
- National Common Core Standards (ELA),
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners (2018), and
- Pennsylvania Core Standards (ELA).
- Suggested assessment methods
- Materials needed
- Detailed procedure (great for substitutes!)
- Reflection and notes space
- Bibliography of resources used
- Lesson plan can be adapted for other grades by replacing the appropriate standards.
Directions & Teacher Notes for posting your lesson in Google Classroom or other elearning platforms (included in preview)
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, a read-aloud video of “Babymouse: Queen of the World” is NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the interactive ebook that has audio read-aloud, you could also share how to read or access it through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
Still not sure? Try before you buy!
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact me through this link.