Introduce young students to the amazing, exciting world of graphic novels and comics with this editable, DIGITAL read-aloud unit for 1st or 2nd grade library classes.
By reading graphic novels (or comics) aloud to students, you can demonstrate how to read across and down the comic panels and in what order to read the speech bubbles.
This lesson is designed for distance learning, online teaching, or blended / hybrid instruction (part online, part face-to-face). The teacher-librarian creates read-aloud videos to embed in the slides or provides an ebook with audio read-aloud features. After listening to each book or watching the book video, students complete the response activity on the next slide.
This read-aloud and research unit has 64 slides & 11 pages and is completely editable in Google Slides, including:
Digital Read-aloud Lesson for each book to share with students
- Placeholders for adding video directions and/or read-aloud videos (See important note below for why the actual read-aloud is not included.)
- Video cover thumbnails for read-aloud videos in .jpg and .png file formats
Books featured in this unit are:
- “Binky the Space Cat” by Ashley Spires (BookShop or Amazon)
- “Babymouse: Queen of the World” by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm (BookShop or Amazon)
- “Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework” by Nadja Spiegelman & Trade Loeffler (Bookshop or Amazon)
- If you purchase any books through the affiliate links above, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Suggested Response Activity for each book for students to complete
- Most of the book activities have interactive movable parts for students to create with, or an editable template for students to extend their learning by researching a topic from the book.
Example Activity Choice Board to extend the learning through research or further reading
- 2 optional activity examples
- Your choice of 4 different choice board layouts
Contact Information slide for parents or students to know how to reach you online
Comprehensive 1st and 2nd Grade Lesson Plan in Google Docs and Microsoft Word .docx file formats, including:
- Big ideas and essential questions from the PA Library Model Curriculum
- Standards including:
- National Common Core Standards (ELA),
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners (2018), and
- Pennsylvania Core Standards (ELA).
- Suggested assessment methods
- Materials needed
- Detailed procedure (great for substitutes!)
- Reflection and notes space
- Bibliography of resources used
- Lesson plan can be adapted for other grades by replacing the appropriate standards.
Directions & Teacher Notes for posting your lesson in Google Classroom or other elearning platforms (included in preview)
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, read-aloud videos of the graphic novels and/or books are NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. If your library owns the interactive ebook that has audio read-aloud, you could also share how to read or access it through your online catalog or ebook management platform.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact me through this link with questions.