Introduce series books and teach students about getting along with others with the graphic novel “Benny and Penny in: The Toy Breaker” in this editable, DIGITAL lesson for 1st and 2nd grade elementary library classes.
By reading a graphic novel (or comic) aloud to students, you can demonstrate how to read across and down the comic panels and in what order to read the speech bubbles.
This lesson is designed for distance learning, online teaching, or blended / hybrid instruction (part online, part face-to-face). The teacher-librarian creates a read-aloud video to embed in the slides or provides an ebook with audio read-aloud features. After listening to the book or watching the book video, students complete one of the response activities on the next slides.
This read-aloud lesson has 25 slides and 9 pages, and it’s completely editable in Google Slides, including:
Digital Read-aloud Lesson for “Benny and Penny in: The Toy Breaker” by Geoffrey Hayes to share with students
- Includes placeholders for adding video directions and/or read-aloud videos (See important note below for why the actual read-aloud is not included.)
- Video cover thumbnails for read-aloud videos in .jpg and .png file formats
- Any component that you don’t want to use is easy to remove.
Two (2) Response Activity Choices for students to create their own treasure map or discuss the book’s plot
- One activity has a digital map template and moveable pieces for students to create their own map.
- Directions for doing this activity on paper are also included.
- One activity has suggested discussion questions to talk about for whole group or small group/partner discussions.
- Additional slides include links to other Benny and Penny books on the EPIC! ebook platform that students can read independently.
Example Activity Choice Board to extend the learning through research or further reading
- 2 optional activity examples
- Your choice of 4 different choice board layouts
Contact Information slide for parents or students to know how to reach you online
Comprehensive 1st or 2nd Grade Lesson Plan in Google Docs and Microsoft Word .docx file formats, including:
- Big ideas and essential questions from the PA Library Model Curriculum
- Standards including:
- National Common Core Standards (ELA),
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners (2018), and
- Pennsylvania Core Standards (ELA).
- Suggested assessment methods
- Materials needed
- Detailed procedure (great for substitutes!)
- Reflection and notes space
- Bibliography of resources used
- Lesson plan can be adapted for other grades by replacing the appropriate standards.
Directions & Teacher Notes for posting your lesson in Google Classroom or other elearning platforms (included in preview)
IMPORTANT! Due to copyright law, a read-aloud video of “Benny and Penny in: The Toy Breaker” is NOT included. You will have to record yourself reading the book, or do a live stream of the read-aloud for students to access the book. As of March 2021, the Benny and Penny series is also available on the EPIC! ebook platform and teachers can get a free account to provide access to these books. There is no guarantee of continued access.
Still not sure? Try before you buy!
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact me through this link.